Hair of more than 85 Percentage of men’s hair is thinned by age 50. The percentage of women experiencing noticeable hair loss during their lifetimes exceeds 50 Percentage. There are several types of hair transplant surgeries available for regrowing lost hair. The most common techniques for follicular unit transplantation are follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplantation (FUT).
When you undergo FUT, your surgeon cuts a strip of hair from the back of your scalp and extracts each hair follicle individually. Your scalp is directly harvested for follicles during FUE. Both procedures implant follicles into areas of your scalp that are balding.
DHI Global Medical Group developed the Direct Hair Implantation (DHI) technique as a modification of FUE. Hair follicles are implanted into your scalp after the surgeon manually cuts channels. A specialised pen-shaped tool is used during DHI to accomplish both tasks simultaneously.
In this article, we’ll go over everything you need to know about DHI surgery. As well as comparing it to FUT and FUE, we’ll also explain the pros and cons of each procedure.
This procedure is similar to FUE hair implantation and is a modified version. Hair follicles will be removed from a part of your scalp, usually the back, and implanted into areas of balding. There will eventually be new hairs growing from these hair follicles.
During the procedure, you can generally expect the following:
- Local anaesthesia will be applied to numb your head after your surgeon shaves it.
- Hair follicles will be extracted from the back of your head by the surgeon with a fine-tipped tool.
- An implantable tool will be used to place the hair follicles in the balding area of your scalp.
- All sites will be bandaged, and the surgeon will apply an antibiotic cream.
Depending on the number of hair follicles transplanted, FUE and DHI surgeries usually take about 8 hours to complete. For the surgery to be fully effective, it can take between 12 and 18 months.
Hair implantations are best for people suffering from androgenic alopecia, the most common form of hair loss. There are two types of pattern hair loss, male and female.
You can also benefit from hair transplantation if you have the following characteristics:
- The age. It is recommended that people over the age of 25 get hair implants. It is more unpredictable to lose hair before this age.
- Diameter of the hair. The results of thicker hair tend to be better than those of thinner hair. Each hair follicle is covered by more hair when the hair is thicker.
- The density of the donor’s hair. A hair transplant candidate with fewer than 40 follicles per square centimetre at their donor site is considered a poor candidate.
- The colour of your hair. People often achieve the best results with light hair or similar hair colour to their skin tone.
- Expectations. Results are most likely to be satisfactory when people have realistic expectations.
According to DHI Global, an average DHI session costs between $3,250 and $13,500 at clinics in London, Athens, Dubai, or Paris.
In addition to the location of the surgery, the clinic you visit, and the amount of hair implanted, the cost of a hair transplant varies greatly. Since DHI is considered cosmetic surgery, most insurance companies won’t cover its cost.
Reduce the number of hair follicles you get transplanted or travel to a cheaper geographic location to reduce costs.
Compared to FUE, DHI is a modified form of hair implantation. While no research exists on the effectiveness of DHI specifically, all types of FUE surgery can be used to treat male and female pattern baldness.
There is a relatively high cost associated with hair implantation surgeries. Rogaine or finasteride tablets are alternatives to surgery if you can’t afford or can’t get them.
As far as hair graft implanting is concerned, DHI and FUE differ mainly in how the grafts are inserted into the skin. In FUE, small incisions are manually made, while in DHI, grafts are inserted with a pen-like tool.
DHI Hair Transplantation does not cause pain if done under the right conditions. There will be no time limit and no need to rush because only you will be worked on by our experienced team. The donor and transplantation areas will not experience any pain after the operation.
You will be awake during a hair transplant, but no pain will be felt.